Saturday, December 6, 2014

Hanging Wall Quilt Projects...

I have been working on some quilt wall hanging ideas here lately while our MN weather has a bit too cold to be working outside, especially on a cold metal tractor. I don't have a shop big enough for that kind of work and not enough room in the one I do have.

I created some quilt blocks last year on my computer and I am in the process of moving to the point of designing, to figuring out dimensions, cutting out, and sewing them together.

Last winter my mom and I went to St. Cloud to a few craft stores looking at fabrics. I ended up coming home with some I really liked, but was not sure what I was going to make with them. Sewing is not my strong point at least it was not 30 years ago.I tried to make a shirt. I was not impressed with my work. haha I did not pursue that adventure again until the last year or so.

I love quilts and what can be created with them. It has become a a huge industry craft besides just cutting out squares, triangles, and strips of fabric, then sewing them together in a pattern. I really like the applique and landscape type of quilting very artistic. I won't be venturing into landscape quilting for a while yet.I will get my feet wet with the simpler stuff first.

On occasion I do some 2/3D art type work just for fun and that is what got me to create 2 and 3 dimensional quilts on my computer. I learned a lot in the process. My mom told me to try out her quilt program to help me map out quilt blocks. It would figure out my seams and everything. I disliked the program. For me, I felt limited and it was not user friendly. I sat on the idea of mapping out my designs for a while until I could do it on my art program GIMP. While I was mulling on that I proceeded to create applique patterns to make my 2/3D wall quilts.

Now winter is here again and I have most things done for now. The work is never done on a farm, but winter has a way of keeping you from doing most things. Frozen hard ground, lots of snow, and cold winds.I end up doing more indoor type work. Planning garden and farm related stuff for next spring, and dabbling in some creative work.

Without any more delay, I will share a few of my works in progress. :)


This pattern has no name I know of, but I call the quilt 'Birds Garden Square'. I am at the point of cutting out the squares, triangles, and strips for this one. I got the fabrics last winter and created the pattern too. I just had to figure out how to add the 1/4" seam allowance in my measurements. I ended up doing it all on graph paper, which is fine actually good practice to do things by hand first. The finally measurements will be 26"x26". The picture below is how it looks as my 2D quilt wall hanging.


My next project was also something I created on my computer as a 2/3D wall quilt. I called it 'Cat n Moon'. I am at the point of also cutting it out. I found the fabrics online I wanted to try and I am hoping I can find them in store when mom and I go to St. Cloud next week. Here is my proposed sewing project. The size on this wall quilt will be around 15 inches. I have some flexibility with this one on size.




This is my 2/3D version I created last year. Pictures saved as Jpegs never look as nice as png ones.


My last project is one I am still in the creating process of. It is almost done and I need one or two more fabrics yet, then I can begin the cutting and sewing process. I never did this one as 2/3D project. I am creating this for my partner Jim. :) He picked out the colors and made the final decision on the block pattern. This is named 'Starflower'.


I will post pictures of my finished projects in the future. Sewed and hanging up. :)

Happy DIY and Crafting!

Liana

No comments:

Post a Comment